• Missouri became a state

    August 10, 1821 – Missouri became a state
  • November 1838
  • W. L. Watkins Acquired Land

    March 27, 1839 – W. L. Watkins acquired his first...
  • Early 1840s
  • Old Christian Union Church was organized

    1847 – Old Christian Union Church was organized
  • 1848
  • Presbyterians of Lawson Was Organized

    The Presbyterians, the oldest church group of Lawson was organized
  • 1851
  • Claysville Was Founded

    Claysville was founded as
  • 1853
  • Franklin School

    The octagonal school at Watkins Mill was
  • 1859
  • Watkins Woolen Mill in Full Production

    Watkins Woolen Mill was in full production
  • 1864
  • St. Joseph Railroad Company Organized

    St. Joseph Railroad Company was organized
  • November 8, 1868
  • Raum Buys Land From Elston

    Raum buys land for Elston
  • June 1870
  • Pump in City Park

    The public well beneath the pump in the City Park
  • July 1870
  • Luttie Palmer Taught First School Class

    Miss Luttie Palmer taught first school class
  • August 1870
  • Original Town Plat Was Filed

    Original town plat was filed with the county recorder
  • December 31, 1870
  • Bee Hive Lodge Charter

    Bee Hive Lodge’s charter was granted
  • November 3, 1871
  • Lawson Incorporated

    Lawson was incorporated
  • 1872
  • Presbyterian & Methodist Combine Resources

    Lawson Presbyterian and Methodist Churches were combined
  • February 20, 1872
  • St. Joseph Land Company Gave the City the Town Square

    St. Joseph Land Company gave the City the town square
  • September 22, 1872
  • Lawson Cemetery Organized

    Ten men met to form cemetery association.
  • August 5, 1873
  • Land Purchased to Build a School House

    Land purchased to build a schoolhouse
  • 1874
  • Good Temple Lodge Organized

    1874 – Good Temple Lodge was organized but it was...
  • August 1874
  • Negro School

    Classes for the town’s negro children opened
  • 1879
  • Baptists Built a Church

    The first Baptists built a church
  • Mayor 1881 - 1883
  • The Lawson Gazette

    Lawson's first newspaper was printed
  • December 5, 1881
  • Christian Church Was Organized

    The Lawson Christian Church was organized.
  • August 14, 1883
  • First School Lots Sold

    The first school lots were sold
  • August 4, 1883
  • Lawson Bank Purchased Lots

    Lawson Bank purchased lots
  • 1883
  • Waltus L. Watkins Died

    Waltus L. Watkins died
  • Mayor circa 1885-1889
  • Lawson Bank Building Completed

    Lawson Bank building was completed
  • 1886
  • The Lawsonian

    The Lawsonian – proprietor: J. H. Shutts
  • 1887
  • Presbyterians Purchases Entire Building

    Presbyterians purchased the Methodists’ half of the church
  • 1887
  • Methodist Church Dedicated

    Methodist Church building at Sixth & Ingles was dedicated
  • 1888
  • The Lawson Leader

    The Lawson Leader. There were several editors and publishers
  • Mayor circa 1880s-1890s
  • Baptist Church Destroyed by Fire

    Baptist church on Pennsylvania just south of Fifth
  • December 1890
  • Community Christmas Tree

    Local business firms sponsored a community Christmas tree
  • 1891
  • New Baptist Church Complete

    The new Baptist church was completed
  • 1895
  • Bee Hive Lodge Destroyed by Fire

    Bee Hive lodge at the corner of Third and Pennsylvania
  • March 24, 1896
  • Christian Church Rededicated

    The Christian Church building was rededicated
  • 1897
  • Presbyterian’s New Manse

    The Presbyterian’s new manse was first occupied
  • Late 1890s
  • Presbyterian Academy Destroyed by Fire

    Presbyterian Academy burned
  • 1899-1901
  • Partitition Added to School

    A partition was added to school
  • 1899 - 1916
  • Presbyterian Academy Classes Held at Bank

    The last classes for Lawson Presbyterian Academy
  • 1900
  • Forty Two Club Was Organized

    Tthe Forty Two Club (Fancy Work Club)
  • 1902
  • First Annual Lawson Picnic

    First Annual Lawson Picnic sponsored
  • Mayor 1903 - 1904
  • Ammerman Bought Local Telephone Company

    Eldorus F. Ammerman bought the local telephone company
  • 1904
  • The First Rural Mail Route

    The first rural mail route was established
  • 1904
  • Morrow Lumber Bought the Adjoining building

    Morrow lumber bought the adjoining Young building
  • 1904
  • Old Curfew Bell

    The old curfew bell was removed
  • January 4, 1904
  • Thomas Jefferson Meadows

    Meadows was Mayor of Lawson 1905 – 1906
  • 1905
  • More Rural Mail Routes in Ray County

    The Post Office Department ordered eleven new rural routes
  • August 16, 1905
  • Negro School Ceased Operations

    The Negro school ceased operations
  • 1906
  • Lawson P.E.O. Organized

    Chapter W.O., P.E.O. was organized in Lawson
  • September 30, 1906
  • Jeff E. Deacy

    Jeff E. Deacy was Mayor of Lawson 1907 - 1908
  • February 3, 1907
  • Presbyterian Church Building Was Dedicated

    The new Presbyterian church building was dedicated
  • Mayor 1909 - 1910
  • Methodist Church Purchased Lots

    Methodist group purchased Lots at Fifth & Penn
  • 1909
  • Boys Scouts of America Founded

    The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) was founded
  • 1910
  • Comet Appeared in the Skies

    An outstanding comet appeared in the western skies
  • Mayor 1911 - 1912
  • Methodist Church Was Dedicated

    The new Methodist Church was dedicated
  • 1912
  • Power from the Excelsior Springs Light Company

    Lawson contracted for power
  • Mayor 1913 - 1914
  • Post Office Robbed

    The post office was robbed of $100
  • July 14, 1914
  • Van Wyck Boen

    Van Wyck Boen served as mayor of Lawson 1915 -...
  • 1915
  • Bank and Ward Building Reoccupied

    Bank and Ward Building Reoccupied after fire
  • 1916 - present
  • Electric Lights Installed in City Park

    Electric lights were installed in the City Park
  • March 1916
  • Last Issue of “Ray County Review”

    Last issue of the The Ray County Review
  • May 11, 1916
  • City Band

    The newly formed city band held its first concert
  • Summer of 1916
  • Marshall Stock Company Entertained

    Marshall Stock Company presented programs
  • 1916
  • Virgil Homer Russell

    Virgil H. Russell served as Mayor of Lawson 1917 -...
  • April 6, 1917
  • Congress Passed Selective Service Act

    Congress passed the Selective Service Act
  • 1918
  • Canaan Hill Church Organized

    Canaan Hill Church Organized
  • Mayor 1919 - 1922
  • Coal Discovered Near Elmira

    Rich veins of coal were discovered near Elmira
  • 1921
  • Junior-Senior High School Plan Adopted

    The Junior-Senior High School plan was adopted
  • November 6, 1921
  • Elmira Was Incorporated

    Elmira was incorporated
  • 1923
  • Canaan Hill Church Was Dedicated

    Canaan Hill Church of the Nazarene’s first church building
  • Mayor 1923 - 1924
  • Jefferson Highway Was Being Built

    Jefferson Highway was being built with one branch coming down...
  • July 1924
  • The Memorial Pavilion Was Dedicated

    The Memorial pavilion in the city park
  • Mayor 1925 - 1930
  • Blue Jay Highway

    Blue Jay highway would be routed through Lawson
  • 1925
  • Home Talent Chautauqua

    Civic Improvement club put on a home talent Chautauqua
  • May 20, 1925
  • Commercial Bank Closed

    Commercial Bank of Lawson was ordered closed
  • 1927
  • Lawson Cemetery Association Is Incorporated

    Lawson Cemetery Association received its Certificate of Incorporation
  • 1931
  • Rock Island Railroad

    The Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad came through
  • 1931
  • John Clifton Crowley

    J. C. Crowley served as Mayor of Lawson several terms
  • May 31, 1931
  • Slag Used to Surface Roads

    Slag from the Elmira coal mine was used to surface...
  • Mayor 1933 - 1936
  • Lawson Bank Reopened after National Bank Holiday

    Lawson Bank re-opened after the bank holiday
  • 1935
  • Subsistence Seed Home Gardens

    Subsistence seed home gardens were being distributed
  • 1935
  • Lawson’s First Teacher Died

    Lawson’s first teacher, Lutie Palmer, died
  • 1937
  • John Clifton Crowley

    J. C. Crowley served as Mayor of Lawson several terms
  • June 14, 1938
  • Bond Issue for New Water System

    November 1938 – Voters approved a bond issue of $25,000...
  • November 1, 1939
  • Lawson Rotary Club was organized

    Lawson Rotary Club was organized
  • 1942
  • Assembly of God Church Was Organized

    February 4, 1943 – Assembly of God Church was organized
  • 1945
  • P.T.A. Was Organized

    Parent Teachers Association (P.T.A.) was organized in Lawson
  • Mayor 1946 - 1949
  • Rakla Shrine Club Was Organized

    Rakla Shrine Club was organized
  • February 15, 1947
  • Beta Sigma Phi Was Organized

    Delta Zeta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was organized
  • 1949
  • Elmira Coal Mine Closed

    The Elmira coal mine closed for good
  • June 1949
  • Land Was Bought for an Athletic Field

    Ten acres of land were bought for an athletic field
  • June 1949
  • Graham, Murray and Bisbee Annexed into Lawson Schools

    Country schools began annexing into the Lawson School district
  • Mayor 1950 - 1951
  • Union, Butler and Riggs Were Annexed into Lawson schools

    Union, Butler and the rest of Riggs district
  • Mayor 1951 - 1955
  • Canaan Hill’s Second Church Was Dedicated

    Canaan Hill Church of the Nazarene’s second church building
  • 1952
  • 50th Annual Lawson Picnic

    50th Annual Lawson Picnic sponsored
  • June 17, 1953
  • From Entry Fee to Fifty Three

    The women of the Lawson Christian church sponsored publication
  • September 16, 1953
  • Order of Eastern Star Was Constituted

    Lawson Chapter No. 549 of Order of Eastern Star
  • 1954
  • Train Depot in Elmira Was Torn Down

    The train depot in Elmira was torn down
  • May 1, 1954
  • Land Was Purchased for Water System

    The City purchased 111.2 acres on which the railroad pond...
  • July 12, 1954
  • Voters Approved Revenue Bonds For Water Plant

    Voters approved Revenue bonds of $15,000 for developing a municipal...
  • 1955
  • Methodists Purchased An Organ

    1955 – The Methodists purchased a Hammond organ for the...
  • Acting Mayor 1955
  • Thomas Dudley Williamson

    Thomas Dudley Williamson served as Mayor of Lawson 1955 –...
  • January 1955
  • Water Plant Contractor Selected

    Sealed bids for construction of the water plant were opened
  • May 3, 1955
  • Volunteer Fire Department Organized

    The Lawson Volunteer Fire Department was organized
  • October 24, 1955
  • Voters Approved More Bonds to Complete Water System

    Voters approved $14,000 in General Obligation bonds
  • December 7, 1955
  • More Bonds Approved for Water System

    Voters unanimously approved General Obligation Bond Issue of $14,000
  • 1956
  • P.E.O. Held 50th Anniversary Tea

    Chapter A.O., P.E.O. held their fiftieth Anniversary tea
  • March 6, 1956
  • First Water Receipts Were Collected

    The City of Lawson collected the first receipts from users...
  • May 5, 1956
  • New Presbyterian Manse Was Completed

    The new Presbyterian manse was first occupied
  • December 29, 1956
  • Elmira Schools Were Annexed into Lawson

    Elmira schools were annexed into the Lawson school district
  • June 11, 1957
  • Groundbreaking Services for Baptist Church Education Unit

    Groundbreaking services were held for the Baptist Church Education unit
  • September 1957
  • Rotary Club Installed Street Signs

    The town board granted the Lawson Rotary Club permission
  • October 13, 1957
  • Christian Church Bought An Organ

    The Christian Church bought a Baldwin organ
  • 1958
  • Land Was Purchased for High School Building Site

    Fifteen acres purchased as the site for high school building
  • April 1958
  • Watkins’ Farm Sold At Auction

    Watkins’ family farm was sold at auction; George Stilley
  • June 11, 1958
  • Fire Warning System Approved

    The Board voted to accept a fire warning system
  • July 20, 1958
  • Land South of Moss Additions was Annexed

    Voters approved the annexing of 26 acres
  • December 24, 1958
  • Presbyterians Purchased an Organ

    The Presbyterians purchased an electric organ
  • 1959
  • School Had only Elementary Classes for the First Time

    The school had only elementary classes
  • May 21, 1959
  • The New High School Opened

    The new high school opened
  • November 1959
  • Walter Gaines Moss

    Walter Gaines Moss was acting Mayor of Lawson in 1960...
  • 1960
  • Robert Ray Coffman

    Robert Ray Coffman served as Mayor of Lawson 1960-1966.
  • March 1, 1960
  • Xi Beta Tau Exemplar Chapter

    The Delta Zeta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi be­came
  • September 12, 1960
  • Sexton Addition Plat Approved

    Board of Alderman approved Sexton addition
  • April 4, 1961
  • Building Inspector Appointed

    Kenneth Dossett was appointed building inspector
  • June 1961
  • Pennsylvania Avenue Extended

    An ordinance was passed extending Pennsylvania
  • September 5, 1961
  • Gas Service Company Franchise Approved

    Voters approved granting a franchise to the Gas Service Company
  • November 4, 1961
  • Curb & Guttering Considered

    The Board considered a proposal to lay curb and guttering
  • 1962
  • Bonds Approved for Sewer And Water System

    Voters approved the issuance of $130,000 in General Obligation bonds
  • July 16, 1962
  • Morrow Addition Plat Approved

    Board of Alderman approved Morrow addition
  • October 1, 1962
  • Contractor Approved for Sewer & Water System

    Bids for building the proposed sewer and water system were...
  • 1963
  • Canaan Hill Church Building Razed

    Canaan Hill Church's second building was torn down
  • June 19, 1963
  • ZIP Codes Introduced

    Five-digit ZIP Codes were introduced
  • October 1963
  • Two Letter State Abbreviations Were Introduced

    The two letter state abbreviations were introduced
  • October 26, 1963
  • Eastern Pleasant Grove Annexed into the Lawson District

    The eastern part of Pleasant Grove school
  • 1964
  • Nike Missile Base Closed

    Nike Missile Base closed
  • April 19, 1964
  • Baptist Church Purchased a Parsonage

    The Baptist church purchased a parsonage
  • New Street Lights were Installed

    New street lights were installed
  • 1965
  • Assembly of God Church Was Completed

    The new Assembly of God Church was completed
  • April 18, 1965
  • Lawson Swim Club was Organized as a Nonprofit Corporation

    Lawson Swim Club was organized as a nonprofit corporation
  • October 5, 1965
  • Methodists Celebrated the Centennial of the Two Rural Classes

    The Methodists celebrated the centennial
  • March 3, 1966
  • First Services in the New Baptist Church

    The first services were held in the new Baptist Church
  • November 1966
  • James S. Smith

    James S. Smith was Mayor of Lawson 1967 - 1972,...
  • 1967
  • The Baptist Church was Dedicated

    The Baptist Church dedicatory service was held
  • May 1967
  • Voters Approved New Fire Truck

    Voters approved the purchase of a new fire truck
  • August 8, 1967
  • Presbyterian Church Refaced with Brick

    The Presbyterian church was refaced with brick
  • 1968
  • Schools Held Classes at Baptist Church

    School held two classes in the Baptist church’s educational quarters
  • February 6, 1968
  • Canaan Hill Church of the Nazarene 50th Anniversary

    Canaan Hill Church celebrated its 50th anniversary
  • July 1968
  • Nike Base Closed for Good.

    Nike base closed down for good
  • February 4, 1969
  • August 10, 1821
  • Battle of Crooked River

    November 1838 – the “battle of Crooked River”, a day’s...
  • March 27, 1839
  • Watkins Was Operating Grist & Flour Mill

    Early 1840s – Watkins was operating the area’s first grist...
  • 1847
  • Watkins First Circular Saw Mill

    Watkins installed the county’s first circular saw mill
  • June 18, 1849
  • Watkins House

    Waltus L. Watkins completed his permanent homestead
  • 1852
  • Watkins Entered Land

    Watkins entered land that would later
  • 1856
  • Watkins Woolen Mill Under Construction

    Waltus L. Watkins began construction of the woolen mill
  • 1861
  • Watkins Sold Land to Elston

    Watkins sold 80 acres of the land to Elston
  • 1868
  • Old Union Christian Union Church

    Old Union joined with the Christian Unions
  • 1870
  • St. Joseph Land Company Buys Land

    St. Jospeh Land Company buys land from Raum
  • June 1870
  • First Permanent Store Building

    First permanent store building was built
  • August 1871
  • Permit Issued for Lawson Station

    Permit was issued for Lawson Station
  • September 20, 1870
  • Bee Hive Lodge Organized

    Bee Hive Lodge NO. 393, A.F. and A.M. was organized
  • October 13, 1871
  • Bee Hive Hall Dedicated

    November 3, 1871 – Bee Hive hall on the northeast...
  • November 7, 1871
  • Lawson Station Becomes Lawson

    “Station” was dropped
  • 1872
  • Corrected Version of Town Plat Recorded

    Corrected version of town plat
  • February 20, 1872
  • Presbyterian’s New Church Building

    J. M. Scott preached the first Presbyterian sermon
  • January 23, 1873
  • East Addition

    City limits were expanded to include “East Addition”
  • October 17, 1873
  • Raum Hotel Was Built

    Raum Hotel was built by Joseph & Henrietta Raum
  • 1874
  • First Multi-Room School House

    The first schoolhouse of at least two rooms
  • August 1874
  • The first Baptist Church organized

    The first Lawson Baptist Church was organized
  • 1880
  • P. H. Cates

    Born July 1821, Tennessee – Died February 9, 1886, Ray...
  • April 8, 1881
  • Montgomery Addition

    City limits were expanded to include “Montgomery Addition”
  • January 29, 1882
  • Lawson Bank Was Incorporated

    Lawson Bank was incorporated
  • June 1883
  • Christian Church Building Was Dedicated

    The new Christian Church was dedicated
  • October 22, 1883
  • Brick Schoolhouse Built

    New brick schoolhouse was built
  • January 24, 1884
  • James H. Shutts

    Shutts lived in Lawson a number of years. He was...
  • 1885
  • Lawson Fair Association

    Lawson District Fair Association was organized
  • 1887 - 1889
  • Milwaukee Railroad Completes Line

    The Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad built a...
  • 1887
  • Elmira Gets a Post Office

    A post office was established in Elmira
  • November 1887
  • Morrow Lumber Buys Grizzel & Maggey

    Morrow Lumber Company purchased the lumberyard from
  • 1889 - 1899
  • C. P. Wright

    served as constable, mayor, and was engaged in the insurance...
  • 1890
  • Cemetery Purchased More Land

    Land north and east of the existing cemetery was purchased
  • December 1890
  • Presbyterian Academy Organized

    Lawson Presbyterian Academy was organized
  • 1892
  • Methodist Woman’s Missionary Society

    Woman’s Missionary Society was established
  • 1896
  • I.O.O.F. Lodge Organized

    Lawson I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 528 was organized
  • December 13, 1896
  • Second Masonic Lodge Built

    Second Masonic lodge was built
  • 1898
  • School Building Destroyed by Fire

    School building burned down
  • October 4, 1898
  • The Lawson Journal

    1899-1901 Lawson Journal. When Walter L. Bales
  • 1899
  • The Ray County Review

    The Ray County Review 1899 – May 4, 1916
  • 1900
  • Presbyterian Academy Classes Discontinued

    Presbyterian Academy classes were discontinued
  • 1900
  • Old Union Builds Church

    Old Union built a frame building
  • 1902
  • W. A. James

    W. A. James was Mayor of Lawson 1903-1904
  • 1904
  • The Review Published a Magazine

    The Review published a 100 page magazine
  • 1904
  • “Long Lane” Blocked With Snow

    The “long lane” east of town was blocked
  • 1904
  • Elmira Got Its First Rural Mail Route

    Elmira got its first rural mail route
  • Spring 1904
  • I.O.O.F. Bought Second Floor

    I.O.O.F. bought the second floor of the building
  • Mayor 1905 - 1906
  • A Two Room Wing Added To The School

    A two room wing was added to the school
  • January 1905
  • Storm Halted Lawson Picnic

    Storm halted Lawson picnic
  • 1906
  • Missouri Valley Fox Hunt Was Organized

    The Missouri Valley Fox Hunt was organized
  • February 22, 1906
  • Salem Church Building Was Dedicated

    The present Salem church building was dedicated
  • Mayor 1907 - 1908
  • First Sermon in New Presbyterian Church

    The first sermon was given in the new Presbyterian church.
  • May 26, 1907
  • Frank Andrew Waers

    Frank A. Waers was Mayor of Lawson 1909 - 1910...
  • 1909
  • Land Sold for $130 Per Acre

    A tract of land east of town was sold for...
  • 1910
  • Slip Up Christian Church Disbanded

    Slip Up Christian Church disbanded which added membership
  • January 1910
  • John Clifton Crowley

    J. C. Crowley served as Mayor of Lawson several terms
  • November 6, 1911
  • Girl Scouts was Organized in the United States

    Girl Scouts was organized in the United States
  • 1913
  • John McBride Ward

    J. M. Ward served as mayor 1913 - 1914 and...
  • 1914
  • Fire Destroyed Brick Block

    Fire destroyed the early town records
  • Mayor 1915 - 1916
  • A Standard Four Year High School

    A standard four year high school was in effect.
  • May 1915
  • The Lawson Review

    The Lawson Re­view, 1916 to the present
  • 1916
  • Civic Improvement Club Was Organized

    Lawson Civic Improvement Club was organized
  • May 4, 1916
  • First Issue of The Lawson Review

    First issued of The Lawson Review
  • July 1916
  • Streets Were Oiled

    The first summer the streets of Lawson were oiled
  • 1916
  • White and Myers Chautauqua

    White and Myers Chautauqua was held
  • Mayor 1917 - 1918
  • U.S. Declared War on Germany

    United States declared war on Germany
  • May 18, 1917
  • Great Flu Epidemic of 1918

    Great flu epidemic of 1918
  • September 1, 1918
  • Jacob Lincoln Coffman

    Jacob Lincoln Coffman was the Mayor of Lawson 1919 -...
  • 1919
  • East Fork and Riggs Added Lawson School District

    East Fork and a part of Riggs district were added
  • 1921
  • Methodists Tenth Anniversary of the Church Dedication

    Methodists celebrated their tenth anniversary
  • 1922
  • Lebold was Appointed Post­master

    Albert Roy Lebold was appointed Postmaster
  • 1923
  • William Henry “Billie” Meyer

    William H. Meyer served four terms as mayor and six...
  • 1924
  • The McDavid-Halstead bus line between Lawson and Excelsior Springs
  • November 9, 1924
  • Edwin Shouse

    Edwin Shouse served three terms as Mayor of Lawson and...
  • 1925
  • Petunia Selected As The City Flower

    The Petunia was selected as the city flower
  • 1925
  • St. Louis Good Will Tour

    Lawson was one of 49 towns visited
  • May 4, 1926
  • Elmira’s New School

    Elmira’s new two room school house
  • November 28, 1930
  • Free Text Books In Schools

    Free text books were voted in for the schools
  • 1931
  • Highway 69 Completed

    Highway 69 was completed through West Lawson
  • Mayor 1931 - 1932
  • Lawson Boy Scout Troup Founded

    Boy Scout Troop 308 of Lawson
  • 1932
  • George Allen Rhodus

    George Allen Rhodus served as mayor 1933 – 1936 and...
  • March 13, 1933
  • Three Mail Routes Became Two

    The three local mail routes became two
  • 1935
  • Red Dust Was Filling the Air

    The Dust Bowl, also known as “the Dirty Thirties,” started...
  • March 11, 1936
  • School Busses Were Added

    School busses were added by the Lawson District
  • Mayor 1937 - 1945
  • Rebekah Lodge Received Its Charter

    The Rebekah lodge received its charter
  • November 1938
  • Lawson Girl Scout Troop Organized

    November 1, 1939 - The first Girl Scout troop in...
  • April 8, 1941
  • Cub Scouts Organized

    The Cub Scouts were first organized in Lawson
  • February 4, 1943
  • Canaan Hill Church Building Destroyed by Fire

    Canaan Hill Church building destroyed by fire
  • 1946
  • Claude Manford Clark

    Claude Manford Clark served two terms as Mayor of Lawson...
  • March 1946
  • V.F.W. Post 9065 Was Organized

    Lawson Memorial Post No. 9065 V.F.W was organized
  • September 18, 1947
  • Gymnasium – Auditorium Was Added to the School

    A gymnasium-auditorium extension was added
  • 1949
  • V.F.W. Post Bought A Lot To Build a Post

    V.F.W. Post No. 9065 bought a lot across from the...
  • June 1949
  • Presbyterian Church Celebrated Its Centennial

    The Presbyterian Church celebrated its centennial
  • December 1949
  • Andrew Wallace “Jack” Jarman

    Jack Jarman served as Mayor of Lawson 1950 - 1951,...
  • 1951
  • George Allen Rhodus

    George Allen Rhodus served as mayor 1933 – 1936 and...
  • February 25, 1951
  • Bonds for the Municipal Water System

    City of Lawson voted bonds for the municipal water system
  • August 13, 1952
  • Order of Eastern Star Was Instituted

    Lawson Chapter of Order of Eastern Star
  • August 2, 1953
  • $103,000 Bond Issue Approved for Water System

    Voters approved a $103,000 bond issue for the a new...
  • November 12, 1953
  • Klever Kraft Extension Club Was Organized

    Klever Kraft Ray County Extension Club was organized
  • 1954
  • Bonds for Water System Sold

    The bonds for a new water system were dated May...
  • July 1, 1954
  • $25,000 Water Plant Bonds Sold

    The city sold twenty-five $1,000 water plant bonds
  • November 9, 1954
  • Canaan Hill’s Parsonage Completed

    Canaan Hill Church of the Nazarene’s parsonage was completed
  • 1955
  • Rollie Elmer Hartman

    Rollie Elmer Hartman was acting mayor March 1 to April...
  • Mayor 1955 - 1960
  • Quit Claim Deeds Railroad Pond

    Quit Claim Deeds for all lease rights over the railroad...
  • March 24, 1955
  • Construction Began on Water Plant

    Construction began on the new water plant
  • May 23, 1955
  • B.P. W. Was Organized

    Business and Professional Women (B.P.W.) was organized
  • November 9, 1955
  • Revenue Bonds For Water Plant

    Revenue Bonds of $15,000 for the municipal water plant
  • December 9, 1955
  • First Water Service Connections Completed

    First resident service connections with the public water system were...
  • February 19, 1956
  • Sewerage Disposal Rules Established

    Specific rules and regulations governing sewerage disposal
  • May 1, 1956
  • Waterama Jubilee

    Waterama Jubilee was held celebrating the new water system
  • June 1956
  • South Addition Was Annexed

    Voters approved the annexing of land adjacent to the south...
  • 1957
  • Cox Addition Plat Approved

    Board of Alderman approved a plat
  • July 30, 1958
  • Bee Hive Lodge Purchased Building Site

    Bee Hive Lodge and Rakla Shrine Club purchased land for...
  • October 1957
  • Second Baptist Church Organized

    The second Baptist Church was constituted as a church
  • 1958
  • Christian Church Bought a Parsonage.

    The Christian Church bought a parsonage.
  • January 1958
  • Bond Issue Approved for High School

    A $315,000 bond issue was approved
  • May 6, 1958
  • Bee Hive Building Collapsed

    Bee Hive building collapsed
  • July 3, 1958
  • Baptist Purchase Land

    The trustees of the second Baptist Church were instructed
  • November 25, 1958
  • Baptist Education Unit Was Completed

    Construction on the Baptist Church Education unit was completed
  • 1959
  • Elmira Post Office Closed

    The postal service in Elmira was discontinued
  • 1959-1960 School Year
  • Water Line to Nike Base Approved

    Approval was give for a water line to the Nike...
  • September 1959
  • Nike Missile Base Opened

    Nike Missile base opened
  • Acting Mayor 1960
  • 1960 – Kitchen Space Added to the High School

    Kitchen space was added to the high school
  • Mayor 1960 - 1966
  • Director of Civil Defense Appointed

    Noel T. Adams was appointed Director of Civil Defense
  • March 29, 1960
  • Masonic Temple Incorporates

    Bee Hive Masonic Temple Association was issued
  • November 29, 1960
  • North City Limits Extended

    Voters approved extending the north city limits
  • May 6, 1961
  • Construction Began on Bee Hive Building

    Construction began on the Bee Hive building
  • June 24, 1961
  • Pennsylvania Opened Across Tracks

    Public Service Commission ordered the opening of Pennsylvania Avenue
  • October 24, 1961
  • Post Office Open House

    Open House to view new Post Office
  • November 15, 1961
  • Curb & Guttering Completed

    Curb and guttering on Pennsylvania Avenue completed
  • February 13, 1962
  • Grants Approved for Sewer & Water System

    The city received approval for a Federal grant
  • August 20, 1962
  • City Planning Commission Established

    An ordinance was passed to establish a City Planning Commission
  • November 7, 1962
  • Methodists Added Nursery Service

    The Methodist Church added nursery service for young mothers
  • June 17, 1963
  • Assembly of God Church Purchased Land

    Assembly of God Church purchased five acres of land where...
  • July 1, 1963
  • Bond Issue Approved for Additions to the School

    A $85,000 bond issue was approved for additions to the...
  • October 1, 1963
  • First Service in New Canaan Hill Church

    The first service was held in the newly built Canaan...
  • 1964
  • Watkins Mill Became a State Historic Site

    1964 – Watkins Mill became a State Historic Site
  • February 1964
  • Dedication of the Canaan Hill Church

    The formal dedication of the Canaan Hill Church
  • July 1964
  • Wilderness Camp was Created

    Wilderness was createdby the Missouri Conference
  • 1965
  • Lawson Swim Club Granted Building Permit

    A building permit was granted the Lawson Swim Club
  • January 10, 1965
  • The Educational Wing of the Presbyterian Church was Dedicated

    The new educational wing of the Presbyterian Church was dedicated
  • June 29, 1965
  • The Urban Renewal Board was Appointed

    The Urban Renewal Board was appointed
  • October 10, 1965
  • A High School P.T.A. was Organized

    A High School P.T.A. was organized
  • July 17, 1966
  • Watkins Mill was Designated a National Historic Landmark

    Watkins Mill was designated a National Historic Landmark
  • Mayor 1967 - 1972
  • Franklin and Part of Rayville Were Added to Lawson School District

    Franklin and a part of Rayville were added to Lawson...
  • April 12, 1967
  • Lawson R-XII District Reorganization

    During school district reorganization the name changed
  • August 8, 1967
  • Proposition Rejected for City Hall & Fire Station

    Voters rejected a proposition for a city hall and fire...
  • 1967-1968
  • Evangelican United Bethren and the Methodist Church Joined

    The Evangelican United Bethren and the Methodist church joined
  • 1968
  • Delivery of Fire Truck

    Has the fire truck arrived yet?
  • June 23, 1968
  • Bond Issue Passed for a Second Elementary School

    A bond issue of $310,000 passed for a second elementary...
  • January 1969
  • Firefighting Equipment Bond Paid In Full

    Firefighting equipment bond was paid off in full