James Sidney Smith was Mayor of Lawson 1967 – 1972, serving during the Lawson Centennial in 1971.
He was born September 16, 1891 in Lawson, the son of James A. and Alice (Green) Smith. In 1913 he graduated from University of Missouri. After WWII he taught an agricultural class for WWII veterans in Lawson.
He was a farmer, feedstore operator, and Farmall implement dealer in Lawson before he retired in 1978. He and his wife Mabel (Morrow) Smith donated land for the Smithview Manor.
Smith died January 24, 1980 in Lawson and was buried in Lawson Cemetery.